Today I am finally announcing something I am REALLY excited about! I'm starting an online book club based on retellings, called The Second Star Society! 😊
If you're like me, you've always wanted to join a book club, but either you didn't have a lot of options in your area, or you thought about starting one but didn't have any friends as interested in books as you are, or you're just extremely introverted so you stayed inside and kept your bookish opinions to yourself because people are scary.
Yeah, I've been there. 😜
Or sometimes you wanted to talk about books with people, but you didn't want to feel "forced" to read the exact same book as everyone else, because then it would feel like homework. 😔
Starting January 1st, and throughout the year of 2018, we will be reading a retelling of a different classic story each month, and I will choose an "official" book that I will read with that month's theme, but it's completely YOUR choice to read the "official" book, or ANY retelling of the story for that month's theme that you want, so you can still participate without HAVING to read the "official" book. Make sense? 😉
But how will the discussions work if everyone is reading different books, you ask?
Easy: I made a group over on Goodreads for this book club and if a bunch of people seem to be reading the same books, I can break them up into their own discussion groups, so it's like mini book clubs inside a book club! And instead of a normal discussion, the Goodreads group will work more as a place to recommend different books to each other, (and make friends that share your bookish opinions) so basically it's like if you were writing mini reviews without spoilers.
- You can sign up by posting a response post on your own blog with a list of your favorite retellings you have read and/or want to read, and comment with your link back here on this page, so I know you want to join. 😄 (This is optional if you don't have a blog, it's just a way I can connect with other bloggers) And don't forget to grab my button at the top of this post! 😉
- Also, don't forget to join The Second Star Society book club page on Goodreads! This is where most of the discussions will take place, and also announcements. (I will try to post them here and on Twitter too, just in case you missed them.)
I came up with this name because as a kid, I really loved Peter Pan. And I love the idea that "second star to the right and straight on til morning" are the directions to Neverland, and it reminds me of how when we read books we "travel" to fictional worlds to escape reality, so I thought it was a perfect name for a book club. 😊
And also, since my 20th birthday is in January, I wanted to pay homage to my childhood by picking Peter Pan as January's theme.
The book I will be reading is The Neverland Wars by Audrey Greathouse. But, it is completely up to you to read this "official" book, or any other Peter Pan retelling that you would like! (Or you can read both! Or as many retellings as you can in a month! Basically, this book club is really laid back, and you can do whatever you want as long as it goes with each month's theme. 😉) Here are some other Peter Pan retelling recommendations I found:
- Sign up by joining the Goodreads group and/or comment with a post on your own blog. You can sign up ANY TIME since this will be going on all year, until December 31, 2018.
- Starting the first of every month, read ANY retelling of that month's story theme that you want.
- Discuss your books on Goodreads and/or post a review of the book you read on your own blog! (This is COMPLETELY optional, I want this book club to be pretty laid back.)
- Have FUN!
- And...That's it! 😄
All credit goes to the authors of the images.
<a href="http://www.freepik.com/free-vector/soft-background-with-a-cute-blue-watercolor-stain_1064674.htm">Designed by Freepik</a> Title Header:
<a href="http://www.freepik.com/free-vector/independence-day-banners-with-watercolor-shapes_1121363.htm">Designed by Freepik</a> Book Covers:
https://www.goodreads.com/Book Club Button:
<a href='https://www.freepik.com/free-photo/colourful-night-sky-with-stars-and-nebula_1371213.htm'>Designed by Freepik</a>