Aug 3, 2017

July Wrap Up + August Goals



 
Hey guys! I’m sorry this post is late, I went kayaking the other day and then when I got back I had to help sew costumes for a play that my friend is going to be in this weekend! 😊 It was a lot of fun, but I didn’t get around to blogging and I barely had any time to read either, and yesterday I didn’t get around to blogging until late, and I decided to finish today since I wasn’t feeling good. πŸ˜“ Anyway, on to my reading wrap up! 


I can’t believe it’s August already! What am I doing with my life? πŸ˜‚ Well, reading a lot of books apparently. July was a great reading month for me! I read about 11 books! That’s definitely the most I’ve ever read in a month! πŸ˜„




It’s probably because I participated in three readathons this month!



On the 15th, I read Firefight by Brandon Sanderson, Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver, and I started Shattered by Dani Pettrey for #ReadathonByZoe.



From July 22-23 I participated in the 24 in 48 readathon and finished Shattered, Allegiant by Veronica Roth, and I read a little bit of The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey before I decided to DNF it around 47% because it was getting too dark for me.



And literally right after the 24 in 48 ended, BookTube-A-Thon started, so I decided kinda at last minute to try to do that, though I was a little more laid back because my brain was exhausted already.😴

For a book I picked for the cover, I read Mark of the Dragonfly by Jaleigh Johnson.

For a book you read in one day, I read Safe House by Meg Cabot.

For a book with a person on the cover, I started Waterfall by Lauren Kate.

And for a book you read completely outside, I started A Whole New World by Liz Braswell, and I didn’t get around to any of the other challenges, but I did finish two books, so at least that’s something! πŸ˜€





Books read: 11 ½ (half because I DNF’d The 5th Wave)

Books finished: 9 ½

Total pages read: 2,731

Average rating: 4 stars





Allegiant (Divergent, #3)

General thoughts:

I’m glad I finally finished this, and I did think the ending was really good, but the rest was really hard for me to get through so I kept it at three stars.



The Mark of the Dragonfly



General thoughts:*

I LOVED this book! It was a cute middle grade steampunk fantasy, yet it had a great fast pace and great world building. I love the relationships between all the characters and it was so fun to read a steampunk themed book set on a train. It totally made me want to write a steampunk fantasy with a train in it now! πŸ˜„ I even read this book in FOUR DAYS because I was so engaged! That may not seem like a short amount of time to some of you, but for a book I wasn’t specifically marathoning in like, a day, that’s pretty fast for me. It was even almost 400 pages! Never mind it’s a middle grade so the words were big and they were double spaced and…and…okay maybe this isn’t that big of an accomplishment.😳




Before I Fall



General thoughts:*

This book broke my heart! At first I had trouble getting into it because I really did not like Sam and her friends, especially Lindsay. I saw myself more in Juliet, which probably made this book kind of hard to read for me. But the ENDING. OMG I cried so hard for a couple hours afterward. It didn’t help that two seconds after finishing this book I got into an argument with my mom so I was already in a bad mood.😒



Shattered (Alaskan Courage, #2)



General thoughts:

This book was a cute romance mixed with a murder mystery, and it is the sequel to Submerged, which I loved. I liked how the author wrote it in third person, and once in a while put a short paragraph in the killer’s POV without really revealing anything. It helped push the action forward more. 😊

The only problem I have with this book is at the end, I feel like Piper and Landon’s relationship was moving a little too fast, only because Piper’s brother told Landon that it might be a good idea to take things slow, and see where their relationships goes, yet only a couple chapters later, it’s like that conversation didn’t even happen. πŸ˜• Don’t get me wrong, I was happy with the ending, and I actually liked the romance for the most part, probably because this wasn’t YA so the characters aren’t teenagers, so even though it was moving kinda fast, it still didn’t seem as annoying and unrealistic, but Idk.



Firefight (The Reckoners, #2)



General thoughts:

I really LOVE this series! I want to read Calamity, but I don’t want it to end! I love all the characters so much! I didn’t love Firefight as much as I loved Steelheart, but I can’t exactly put my finger on why. Maybe it didn’t seem like there was as much suspense or action as the first book? Idk, it’s still one of my favorites. 😊



Safe House (1-800-Where-R-You, #3)



General thoughts:

This was the third book in the 1-800-Where-R-You series by Meg Cabot, about a girl who is struck by lightning and is suddenly able to psychically locate missing children.

This was a fun, quick murder mystery that I was able to easily read in a day, and still have leftover time to do other things. The only problems I had with this book are the dialogue was too repetitive, and the writing style was a little strange and kind of annoying. I found myself wanting to rewrite a lot of the sentences because they didn’t seem to flow very well, and who the killer ended up being felt really clichΓ© and a little disappointing. Also, the wrap up at the end where she explains how she knew who the killer was was really info dumpy and pretty cheesy. In spite of all that, I still enjoyed reading it and thought it was still a good book. I’m not extremely picky when it comes to reading, and as long as I’m entertained at least on some level, I still think it’s worth reading.😊



Talon (Talon, #1)



General thoughts:*

This is a book I buddy read with my friend Grace in Colorado! πŸ˜„ Honestly, I struggled to get through the first half of this. I was expecting it to be a high fantasy, with a fictional world, but it was set in this world with you know, modern technology and everything. πŸ˜• It just took me a while to wrap my head around the idea that there are dragons disguised as humans and living among us in this day and age. I also didn’t care much for the love triangle, and it was focusing more on that than the suspense surrounding the organization that hid the dragons in plain sight, and I wanted more of that. Luckily in the second half I did get it, and it had a great cliffhanger of an ending, and I decided I did want to continue on with this series, which I wasn’t sure about reading the first half. πŸ˜‰



Nerve



General thoughts:

Ugh, I really did not enjoy this book. I’m glad it was a short book. The characters were annoying, the choices they made that kept the plot moving just made me angry, and the only reason I wanted to see how it ended was not because it was suspenseful, no, it was because I was so curious to see how a book as ridiculous as this ended. Answer: not well. πŸ˜’ There were so many loose ends and it ended on a kind of cliffhanger that made it seem like it was going to be a series, but no, it’s just a standalone. 😞 Maybe it would have worked if there was a sequel that was written a little better, and I get the sense that the author was trying to put an important message in it, but it just didn’t seem like it fully came to fruition, you know? I have a feeling I’m going to like the movie better.



The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave, #1)



General thoughts:

I read about half of it, and I was doing okay, but once it started getting into detail about the child soldier stuff, I decided to skip ahead and read certain scenes until I got to the end, and then I just googled all the parts I missed and read the summaries of the rest of the series to see how it ended. I just didn’t think I could sit through all of that. I mean, it’s one thing when they’re teenagers, and going through things like that, but innocent little five, six, seven-year-olds? It just really bothered me, and I don’t think I’m used to reading that level of sci-fi anyway.



*FULL REVIEWS COMING SOON! (I may do reviews for a few others on this list, but I’m not sure yet, the ones with * by them are a definite. 😊)



Camp Nano:

I finished Camp Nano! πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„ Even though I did meet my goal, I’m not counting it as a win because I was only working on a short story, I changed my goal from 20,000 words down to 5,000 basically just so I could finish it and I got bored with my story so I wasn’t really working that hard on it. Oh well. πŸ˜‚ At least I have until December to revise it and get it perfected to enter it into the Rooglewood Press contest and it definitely is going to need a LOT of revising! 😱




Reading:


Finish:

Sanctuary (1-800-Where-R-You, #4)Waterfall (Teardrop, #2) A Whole New World (A Twisted Tale #1)






Read:

Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)All the Light We Cannot SeeJane EyreRedeemed (The Missing, #8)








Writing:

  • Work on editing F.O.C.U.S. Book 1
  • World build Chronicles of Alexya
  • Start plotting F.O.C.U.S. Book 2
  • Brainstorm pen names
  • Add stuff to my bullet journal
  • Try to work on finishing the first draft of The Monarch. 

Did you have a good reading month? Did you meet your goal for Camp Nano? Can you believe summer's almost over already? 😭😭😭 What books are you planning to read this month?  


All credit goes to the authors of the images.
Freepik/Canva:
What Do You Think?:
<a href="http://www.freepik.com/free-vector/winter-background-design_994864.htm">Designed by Freepik</a>
Links/August Goals/Finished Books/July Reading Stats:
<a href="http://www.freepik.com/free-vector/soft-background-with-a-cute-blue-watercolor-stain_1064674.htm">Designed by Freepik</a>

Gif:
https://giphy.com/

Title Header:
https://www.canva.com/ 

Book covers:
https://www.goodreads.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment